10 Interesting Facts about Istanbul
1. Istanbul is the only city in the world that’s both in Europe and Asia.
2. Istanbul was previously known as Constantinople (named after the Roman Emperor Constantine).
3. The Grand Bazaar is the oldest covered shopping area in the world (pretty much oldest mall in the world).
4. The flower tullips are originally from Istanbul not Netherlands.
5. In 2010, Istanbul was known as the European Cultural Capital city.
6. Istanbul is Turkey’s largest city with over 13 million people.
7. Istanbul was previously the capital of Turkey under different empires – Roman, Byzantine, Latin and Ottoman. Currently, the capital of Turkey is Ankara.
8. The only mosque in the world with six minarets is the Blue Mosque in Istanbul.
9. Istanbul has an area of 2,063 square miles.
10. In the 1500’s Istanbul was known the most crowded city in the world.
Have you been to Istanbul? Share us your story.