Harajuku is definitely the place to be when you’re into the Japanese street fashion style – lolita, mori, gothic, casual and even gyaru. The shops cater to those looking for something unique and very street trendy apparel. Below are our top 10 recommended shops near the Takeshita Dori St. Harajuku (there are also lots of good shops around so feel free to let us know what shops you loved in Harajuku).
How to get to Harajuku when you’re in Tokyo? Take the JR train, get into Yamanote Green line, the Harajuku stop is between Shibuya and Yoyogi. When you reach the Harajuku stop, follow the crowd to the exit leading to Harajuku. Turn left, you will then see a GAP store (this is where you cross the street), keep going left until you see the Takeshita Dori banner similar above.
1. Paris Kids – this shop sells cute accessories, most of them priced at 315 Yen (which is about $4USD). Accessories for Lolita, Mori and Gal followers are available here too. This is also a great place to buy your friends presents from Japan.
2. Wonder Rocket – is a shop that sells Mori style clothing and accessories. I got a jacket for 1900 Yen, a skirt 1000Yen, top 1000 Yen – their prices are very reasonable and the clothes are good for casual wear too. They also sell watches, shoes, and hats that are Mori themed. There are also other Wonder Rocket shops around the Takeshita Dori (i.e. Momo by Wonder Rocket)
When you are at the Takeshita Dori street, look for the Rabbit head (above), it will be at the main entrance of Wonder Rocket.
3. Liz Lisa – If you love Gal style, then this is a shop you shouldn’t miss as they are the leading Gyaru brand. They are most famous for their floral pattern dresses and skirts. In this shop, during my visit they had lucky packs available in 3000 Yen and 5000 Yen. The shop staff told me that each bag contains items that are 5x the amount (so, if you got the 3000 Yen, the approximate items in that bag are around 15000 Yen). When you go inside a Liz Lisa shop, they have a distinct floral fragrant scent, which smells quite good. Also from what I have heard some of the shop staffs also model for their catalogs.
Address: 1-6-12 Jingu-mae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo
4. Pink Latte – This brand may not sound too familiar, but its been a popular brand in Harajuku. They sell street fashion apparel – clothes to cosmetics, a sweet girly style with a bit of punk. What I like about their shop is their decors, the hot pink theme catches shoppers attention.
Address: SoLaDo Harajuku 1F, 1-8-2 Jingu-mae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo
5. ACDC – Looking at the photo itself, you can definitely tell what kind of styles they are selling here – bright, bold and colorful apparel. They are quite famous for their tulle skirts too and Sarouel pants. This shop is for those who love colorful punk styles. A while back in 2007, I purchased a tulle skirt and an Alice in Wonderland long tee shirt from this shop – they cost about 1000 Yen each (awesome price!).
6. SBY Happy Room – Love Gal and Fairy Kei style? Then, SBY Happy Room is a one stop shop for both of these. SBY is a shop that sells character/monster themed accessories as well as cosmetic items (they carry brands like Diamond Lash).
7. Closet Child – CC sells mostly second hand lolita brands in good condition for a fraction of the price. They also carry Chocomint brand accessories which are quite cheap too (a cellphone bow charm is 500 Yen about $6 USD). This particular shop has 3 floors: 1st floor – Lolita, 2nd floor – Gothic/Punk, 3rd floor – Otome casual. They also have other branches in Shinjuku, Yokohama, Kanagawa and Ikebukuro.
When I visited this shop, I asked the shop keeper ‘when do you stock new items?’ and she told me that they actually get new items daily, so everyday there are new items in their shop.
Address: 1-7-6 Jingu-mae Shibuya-ku, Tokyo
8. Candy Stripper – I have previously made a post about this shop in this blog (here), so if you want to see more please click the link. You can describe this shop as a punk-fun clothing. They have been featured on popular magazines like Fruits. If you like a bit toned down punk girly style clothing, this is definitely a must shop for you.
Address: 4-26-27 1F Jingu-mae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo
9. h.NAOTO – The most famous Japanese Gothic and Punk brand across seas. h.NAOTO started their overseas conventions campaign about 2 years ago which started their popularity. This shop in particular has two floors and this is where they hold their fashion shows, events and other campaigns too. Side Story: A while back I visited the San Francisco branch, and one of the staffs assisted me with my purchases – she was very kind and polite. And when I visited the Harajuku branch, to my surprise she was working there too. We talked for a bit and she helped me pick out a cute Hangry&Angry case set.
Address: 3-18-23 Jingu-mae, Shibuya-ku Tokyo
10. Putumayo – The mix between Punk and Lolita style. Compared to BTSSB, Angelic Pretty and other popular Lolita Brands, Putumayo has a much cheaper price but still has a cute and quality dresses. The cute Putumayo shop is located next to h.NAOTO. As you may notice a bit in the photo, the shop staffs are also dressed in Putumayo apparel.
Address: 3-18-22 Jingu-mae, Shibuya-ku Tokyo
We hope you have enjoyed our top 10 picks for Harajuku shops! Let us know if you have any favorite shops here as well.