Visiting Lisbon or maybe planning to visit Lisbon soon? Lisbon is an amazing city filled with history, good food and great weather, and its recognized as a global city. It is also considered one of the oldest city in the world. Here’s a short list of fun things to do while you’re in Lisbon.
Here are the 5 Fun things to do in Lisbon:
1. Eat their famous Pastry. Pastel de nata is an egg pastry tart that has a flakey crust and sweet custard filling. The most famous pastry shop in Lisbon is the Pasteis de Belem, which is located in Rua de Belem street. They are open daily from 8:00 – 23:00. Website: http://www.pasteisdebelem.pt/
2. Visit the Oceanarium. It’s the largest indoor aquarium in Europe – it contains a large collection of marine species as well as other organisms and species too. The main exhibit not to miss the the large aquarium inside Oceanarium. Website: http://www.oceanario.pt/
3. Go shop at El Corte Ingles. While this department store is originally from Spain, it is still a great place to shop in Lisbon. The ground floor has an amazing selection of food – from pastries to sushi, etc. They also give a 10% discount for tourist and non-resident foreigners, plus you get a 23% VAT refund. Check out their website for more info: http://www.elcorteingles.pt/
4. Visit the Belem Tower. This tower is part of the UNESCO World Heritage site since 1983. It is one of the iconic symbols of Lisbon as well. A tour is available for the Tower any day except for Monday.
5. Check out the Feira da Ladra. A very famous open air market that pretty much sells different sorts of things, new and old. A great place to buy some vintage as well as souvenirs. And you can also bargain for the prices too. Held every Tuesday and Saturday.
When I visited Lisbon, I booked my stay through Wimdu.com. I also received a voucher from them, its a great way to travel and stay like a local. It’s easy to use and lots of accommodations to choose from. Check out where we stayed: Estevao II. As always, opinions expressed are our own.