Harajuku is definitely the place to be when you’re into the Japanese street fashion style – lolita, mori, gothic, casual and even gyaru. The shops cater to those looking for something unique and very street trendy apparel. Below are our top 10 recommended shops near the Takeshita Dori St. Harajuku (there are also lots of good shops around so feel free to let us know what shops you loved in Harajuku).
How to get to Harajuku when you’re in Tokyo? Take the JR train, get into Yamanote Green line, the Harajuku stop is between Shibuya and Yoyogi. When you reach the Harajuku stop, follow the crowd to the exit leading to Harajuku. Turn left, you will then see a GAP store (this is where you cross the street), keep going left until you see the Takeshita Dori banner similar above.
TOP 10 PLACES TO SHOP IN HARAJUKU
1. Paris Kids – this shop sells cute accessories. Accessories for Lolita, Mori and Gal followers are available here too. This is also a great place to buy your friends presents from Japan.
2. Wonder Rocket – is a shop that sells Mori style clothing and accessories. I got a jacket for 1900 Yen, a skirt 1000Yen, top 1000 Yen – their prices are very reasonable and the clothes are good for casual wear too. They also sell watches, shoes, and hats that are Mori themed. There are also other Wonder Rocket shops around the Takeshita Dori (i.e. Momo by Wonder Rocket)
When you are at the Takeshita Dori street, look for the Rabbit head (above), it will be at the main entrance of Wonder Rocket.
3. Liz Lisa – If you love Gal style, then this is a shop you shouldn’t miss as they are the leading Gyaru brand. They are most famous for their floral pattern dresses and skirts. In this shop, during my visit they had lucky packs available in 3000 Yen and 5000 Yen. The shop staff told me that each bag contains items that are 5x the amount (so, if you got the 3000 Yen, the approximate items in that bag are around 15000 Yen). When you go inside a Liz Lisa shop, they have a distinct floral fragrant scent, which smells quite good. Also from what I have heard some of the shop staffs also model for their catalogs.
Address: 1-6-12 Jingu-mae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo
4. Pink Latte – This brand may not sound too familiar, but its been a popular brand in Harajuku. They sell street fashion apparel – clothes to cosmetics, a sweet girly style with a bit of punk. What I like about their shop is their decors, the hot pink theme catches shoppers attention.
Address: SoLaDo Harajuku 1F, 1-8-2 Jingu-mae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo
5. ACDC – Looking at the photo itself, you can definitely tell what kind of styles they are selling here – bright, bold and colorful apparel. They are quite famous for their tulle skirts too and Sarouel pants. This shop is for those who love colorful punk styles. A while back in 2007, I purchased a tulle skirt and an Alice in Wonderland long tee shirt from this shop – they cost about 1000 Yen each (awesome price!).
6. SBY Happy Room – Love Gal and Fairy Kei style? Then, SBY Happy Room is a one stop shop for both of these. SBY is a shop that sells character/monster themed accessories as well as cosmetic items (they carry brands like Diamond Lash).
7. Closet Child – CC sells mostly second hand lolita brands in good condition for a fraction of the price. They also carry Chocomint brand accessories which are quite cheap too (a cellphone bow charm is 500 Yen about $6 USD). This particular shop has 3 floors: 1st floor – Lolita, 2nd floor – Gothic/Punk, 3rd floor – Otome casual. They also have other branches in Shinjuku, Yokohama, Kanagawa and Ikebukuro.
When I visited this shop, I asked the shop keeper ‘when do you stock new items?’ and she told me that they actually get new items daily, so everyday there are new items in their shop.
Address: 1-7-6 Jingu-mae Shibuya-ku, Tokyo
8. Candy Stripper – I have previously made a post about this shop in this blog (here), so if you want to see more please click the link. You can describe this shop as a punk-fun clothing. They have been featured on popular magazines like Fruits. If you like a bit toned down punk girly style clothing, this is definitely a must shop for you.
Address: 4-26-27 1F Jingu-mae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo
9. 6%DOKIDOKI is a cute, colorful and unique store located in Harajuku. The theme of this store is ‘sensational kawaii style’, its brand represents a very vivid and pop design that’s totally cute. The brand 6%DOKIDOKI was created by Sebastian Masuda, as an artistic expression in Harajuku. 6%DOKIDOKI is one of the founders of the Kawaii culture in Japan and the rest of the world.
Address: TX101 Building 2F 4-28-16 Jingumae Shibuya-ku, Tokyo Japan 150-0001
10. MILK is a fashion brand from Tokyo that started in the 70’s. It is considered as a pioneer brand in the Harajuku ‘kawaii’ fashion scene. Now, after decades of charming trends, MILK still holds an influence to the latest styles in Harajuku. MILK’s style has a combination of both cuteness and elegance.
Address: 6 Chome – 29 – 3 Jingumae Shibuya-ku, Tokyo
We hope you have enjoyed our top 10 picks for Harajuku shops! Let us know if you have any favorite shops here as well. (Latest update: 7/18/2016)
Expedia.com - See flights, bundle deals and more on Expedia.com, an online travel website for airline tickets, rental cars, cruises and vacations.
Hotels.com - A leading website for booking hotel rooms. Compare hotels with guest reviews to find the right room.
TripAdvisor.com - Find more city guides and reviews with TripAdvisor.com, the largest travel site for planning and booking trips.